02 March 2013

Busting through the winter blahs

It's official! Jamie and I will be heading down to the Cayman Islands in a couple of weeks for the first event of the 2013 season. I can't tell you how excited I am to start competing again. We have been training hard all winter long, just itching to get back outside and play!!
The Cayman Islands NORCECA was my second international competition ever, in 2010. I actually played in it with Jamie, even though we weren't partners at the time!

It's been a pretty solid winter. We've both managed to stay healthy and improve our strength, fitness and team tactics. The national beach program also welcomed a new head coach in early January. We're thrilled to have Steve Anderson take over and share his philosophies and unique coaching style.  He worked with the Australian beach team for 17 years and helped them earn Olympic bronze and gold medals. His energy and belief in Canadian athletes and our program is infectious... and I have to say, it's it's been pretty fun working with him so far.
It's also been nice having a routine, staying in the same city for more than a week, not dealing with jet-lag, and knowing I will always be able to get my favourite foods from the grocery store whenever I want. Having said that, I'm really looking forward to racking up the air miles :)


Although our training has been great, I can't deny that sometimes it's hard to stay motivated in the cold winter months when we're bundled up in our training centre for practice and the sun seems to set so early that sunny summer feels so far away! I have to give a shout out to somebody who has been an inspiration to me. My younger brother Lenny is a member of Canada's national cross country ski team and he's one of my best friends. His competition season starts when mine ends (November) and he's been in Europe since then, so we don't get to see each other very often... but we manage to keep in touch through skype and funny emails. Lenny is one of the coolest people I know. He's always so chill and level headed and he actually gives really great advice. Not to mention he is kicking some serious butt on the World Cup tour! So when I'm stuck at home, freezing and longing for summer to return, I feel lucky to be able to tune in to my brother's season and watch him ski like a champ! Every success he has makes me more and more excited to compete again!!
Mahalo bro!!!



Throwback! circa 1992 and 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment