22 May 2010

Getting started.

Hello and welcome to my blog! I'm just learning how to use this site, but I thought I would get things started with a little update on our beach season and travels so far. My partner is Asya Danilova, a former Varsity Blues indoor volleyball teammate of mine. Together we're an awesome team, both of us being over 6 feet tall! We've decided that I will be the designated blocker, and Asya will defend. In April we traveled to Brasilia, Brazil to compete in our first FIVB tournament together. We were one of three women's teams there representing Canada. This was an awesome experience for us in terms of experiencing our sport at an international level and getting used to spending a lot of time together. The city itself was rather boring, so we had to find our own ways of keeping ourselves entertained. (Un)luckily I still had one more exam to write for school, so I studied the whole time I was there. Asya was dependent on the Internet, and one day when it broke down, I saw how truly determined my beach partner can be. I'm pretty sure she single-handedly forced the hotel to fix it immediately, and wouldn't stop bothering them until they did. It was pretty impressive. We trained most of the days we were in Brazil, with many teams from all over the world. In the tournament we lost to a team from Germany. We had a really tight first set, but our lack of experience playing together at this level came through in the end and we couldn't pull out a win. Regardless, the experience is one we have definitely learned from. When we got back to Toronto, I wrote my last undergrad exam ever! It feels indescribably good to be done. Now I can put all my energy into what I love: playing beach volleyball! In early May, we left for the next FIVB tournament in Shanghai, China. The flight was really long, and the time difference there is 12hours, so I didn't even have to set my watch! Our tournament was actually just outside of Shanghai, in a place called Jinshan. The tournament site was a cheap cab ride from our hotel and right on the beach. Again we trained with many other teams, most of which are becoming our friends now! When the tournament started, we played a pair of twin sisters from Finland. This game didn't go very well for us, but we got to get a taste of what it's like to play a high ranked team in this sport. We traveled back home and trained for the short time we were there. We're currently in Seoul, Korea, living with Brianna- my amazingly awesome friend from high school. So far we are having a great time experiencing some of the fantastic food this city has to offer. Unfortunately it's currently raining, and it's supposed to stay this way for the next few days! I hope the weather man is wrong on this one. More updates to come! Thanks for reading!
website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

No comments:

Post a Comment